Parental involvement is a crucial ingredient in the success of many children. Teachers know the saying all too well that it takes more than a village to raise a child, for one - it takes parental involvement. Thus, it is important for teachers to reach out to parents in that first week of school. Teachers should write a formal letter that is welcoming and easily comprehensible to the parent and the student. This letter should be able to communicate that the teacher values the child's education as well as the parents' support.
The format of the letter should be as follows:
- 1st paragraph - Teacher introduces him or herself (write about your expertise and/or longevity in the field).
- 2nd paragraph - Describe what your goal is as an educator (let the parent see that you are concerned for their child's education and behavioral growth).
- 3rd paragraph - Summarize the curriculum units that will be studied throughout the school year.
- 4th paragraph - Identify the materials required for that subject (be detailed if using a binder or notebook a specific way).
- 5th paragraph - Include a breakdown of the grading system and categories used. Also include the expectations for class and the form of communication (i.e., progress reports) with parents.
The parent letter may also have a second page that includes a Disciplinary Action Plan where student and parents both sign.
Welcome to 8th grade Science. My name is Mrs. V and I have been teaching Science in Newton Public Schools for over 10 years. I look forward to helping your child excel and reach his potential.
My goal as an educator is to guide your child toward academic success and to help build critical thinking skills that will help him blossom into adulthood. I will do my part to inform you when your child isn't working to his potential and/or involvement in disruptive class behavior. I am dedicated to the well-being of your child and I need your cooperation in helping him reach his potential. Please feel free to contact me at the school number 123-456-7890 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns regarding your child's academic success. The best time to reach me are: ______________.
We will be working on these curriculum units during the year: _______. The texts we will use are: ____________. Some textbooks will remain in the classroom. Therefore, your child will be required to keep a notebook or binder containing notes and other assignments to help prepare for homework and exams. Tests will be given weekly on vocabulary, diagrams, investigations, and content. Labs will be conducted three days a week. Please help your child prepare for these assessments and sign all that are sent home and return with your child the next day.
Please help your child purchase the following materials for class: pencils, eraser, binder or notebook, glue, colored pencils, and ruler. The binder or notebook will have five sections and they should be labeled using tabs or dividers accordingly: Tab 1 Class work, Tab 2 Homework, etc. The binder/notebook is 20% of your child's grade. Therefore, it should be organized and assignments should be complete. Please check your child's binder/notebook weekly and feel free to reach me with any concerns.
The grading system is as follows:
20% Exams (unit test, vocabulary, diagrams)
20% Open Response
20% Binder or Notebook Test
20% Class work (investigations, participation)
Your child will have homework each night and will receive a progress report every two weeks, on a Friday, if he is below a C average. The progress report allows me to communicate to you what your child is either missing or needs to improve before the term ends. I expect your child to come to class with materials ready to learn. Please encourage your child to be consistent and responsible for a successful school year.
Student Signature: ________________________________________
Parent Signature: _________________________________________
- Be specific and detailed in describing what the class will entail.
- Make it clear throughout the letter that parental involvement is vital to enriching their child's education and personal growth.
- Include school contact number and email address.
- Include preferred times to call.
- Do not include your personal phone number, address, etc. because every educator needs personal time to reflect on each day's lesson.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades